B292 19th century painted decorated Box, with the name T.P. Howell & Co. 1865- 1867( T.P. Howell and Company (Newark, N.J.)T.P. Howell and Company, founded by Theodore Pike Howell, was located at the intersection of Wilsey and New Streets in Newark, New Jersey. The company manufactured patent and enameled leather, and had a salesroom in New York City at 77 Beekman Street. Much of the firm's success was derived from the implementation of technological improvements in the making of patent and enameled leather developed by pioneers in the field such as Seth Boyden and David Crocket. By 1855, Howell turned the business into a stock company, going on to become one of the largest operations of its kind in the world. Their products were exported to Europe, and even to parts of South America and The West Indies. The firm then went on to construct another large facility in Middletown, New York, to meet the rising demand for products made of Russian leather. Theodore Pike Howell was born in Succasunna Plains, New Jersey, on January 6, 1819, the son of U.S. Army officer Jacob Drake Howell (n.d.), and he was educated in Stephen Grover's private academy in Caldwell, New Jersey (Grover was the grandfather of U.S. President Grover Cleveland). Upon completion of his studies, he entered into an apprenticeship at Smith and Wright, a harness factory in Newark, New Jersey. After his apprenticeship, he became a partner in his uncle Samuel M. Howell's (n.d.) tanning business, calling the firm S.M. and T.P. Howell. Theodore Pike Howell would then form his own tanning business, the aforementioned T.P. Howell and Company.