Exquisitely woven heavy linen/wool Coverlet dated 1839 from Manor Township in Lancaster County, PA. Two corner blocks read: “Made by J. Witmer For Jacob Bausman”. Center seam indicates this coverlet was made in sections on a narrow loom and stitched together. The linen, along with wool in 2 shades of red and 2 shades of blue, is extremely tightly woven to create patterns such as roses, stars, birds and vases of flowers. The wool used throughout the coverlet extends beyond the woven area to create a beautiful, thick 4” fringe along two sides of the coverlet; and the linen used throughout the coverlet extends beyond the woven area to create the 3/4” finished edge along the bottom of the coverlet. The top of the coverlet is bound in a beautiful period-correct cotton fabric of matching colors. Tiny hand stitches are seen along both the top and bottom finished edges. Minor stain, no tears or damage. Measurements excluding fringe: 94” x 71”
Provenance on Mr. Bausman is as follows:
JACOB BAUSMAN was born Oct. 18, 1812 (died Feb. 11, 1894) in Lancaster township, Lancaster Co., Pa., one of nine children.Probably no man in the county was better known, and for half a century he was recognized as one of its most stable, prosperous and farsighted business men. His early education was received in the district school near his home. At the age of sixteen his father sent him to the famous boys' school of John Beck, at Lititz.He became known all over eastern Pennsylvania as a large dealer in grain, lumber, flour and cattle, and the sawmill connected with his gristmill did a large business. During the year of the Irish famine in 1847, he dealt largely in corn, making frequent purchases or engagements to deliver as much as, 10,000 bushels at one transaction in the Philadelphia Corn Exchange. Mr. Bausman sold his mill property to the Wabank Hotel Company. Meantime Mr. Bausman was one of the original and continuous members of the Lancaster Gas Company, he was early in the direction of the cotton mills, and one of the joint owners of No. 3 until it was sold to John Farnum & Co. He was a part owner of the Beaver Street Cotton Mill, which was sold after the death of one of its joint proprietors, and he was one of the managers of the Lancaster Fire Insurance Company during its existence. One of his largest business interests, and what proved to be an unfortunate venture, was his association with Thomas Baumgardner and B. F. Shenk in the Enterprise Coal Company, of the Shamokin region. But the greater part of Mr. Bausman's time and attention during the last twenty-five years of his life was devoted to the management of the affairs of the Farmers' National Bank. Mr. Bausman became a director of the institution in 1855, and in 1868 was elected to the presidency, which position he filled and adorned until January, 1892, when by reason of his age he declined a re-election and was succeeded by his son, J. W. B. Bausman, Esq. Mr. Bausman owned a number of farms, and took an active interest in their management. He was one of the first stockholders of the Manor Turnpike Road Company, and served as a director until his death. He was identified with the Millersville State Normal School from the time of its institution, and for many years was trustee of Franklin and Marshall College, and the treasurer of its board for twenty-eight years. He was a prominent member of the First Reformed Church of Lancaster, and a liberal contributor to every form of church benevolence. Mr. Bausman was not married in early life, and made his home at his father's residence until he was over forty years of age. On Jan. 31, 1854, he married Mary Baer, who died Feb. 11, 1862; the only child of their union is John W. B. Bausman, a well-known citizen of Lancaster. Jacob Bausman after his marriage lived on his farm on the Columbia turnpike, about three miles west of Lancaster city, until 1883, when he and his son moved into the mansion at the corner of West Chestnut and Concord streets, Lancaster. (Source: Biographical Annals of Lancaster County, Beers, 1903, pp. 56-58.