H276 Exceptional double sided large wooden Trade sign from Medford, Burlington County, New Jersey “Jos. H. Haines & Sons” One side advertises “Coal, Lumber, Hay, Straw, Machinery”…the opposite side advertises “Lime, Seeds, Bricks, Tile, Fertilizers”. Both sides are signed “J.S. Hays” in the lower right corner. The proprietor’s name is painted in bold gold painted letters with red highlighting on one side and blue highlighting on the opposite side. Each of the items advertised is creatively painted to appear as if they are inside sections of a wavy banner across the bottom of the sign. The lettering is done in gold paint and the outline of the banner is red on one side and blue on the opposite side. A nice, double molded edge surrounds each side of the sign. The Jos H Haines & Sons business was located on Tidswell Avenue in Medford, New Jersey and was known as a major distributor of coal and lumber. This sign shows great workmanship and wear indicative of age. Measurements: 80” long x 20” tall x 3” thick. Iron brackets are 23 ½” tall and 1 1/8” wide.
(Proprietor Joseph Hendrickson Haines was born 7 December 1840 in Medford, Burlington County, New Jersey. As a boy he worked on his father’s farm in Medford and attended public schools in his township, along with the Friends’ school in Weston, Pennsylvania. He continued farming, becoming the owner of his father’s farm. He was also interested in retail, setting up the firm of Joseph H. Haines & Sons, which sold coal, lumber, and agricultural implements. Joseph was also interested in civil matters, serving as the chairman of the Medford water company. He served as a member of the local school board and on the township committee. He died in 1920 and is buried at the Medford Friends Meeting Cemetery, Medford, Burlington County, New Jersey.)