G762 Early 20th century Pewter Inkwell with hinged lid marked "property of Waldorf Astoria" on bottom. Complete with internal ink chamber marked " Sengbusch Self-Closing Inkstand Co. Milwaukee, Wis. Pat. Sept. 1-14.", removeable drip tray, attached pen holder brackets, and a very intricately dyed and tooled leather-covered steel point, quill-style pen with nib. The original Waldorf-Astoria was built in two stages, as the Waldorf Hotel and the Astoria Hotel (explaining the dual name) opening in 1893 and that location being demolished in 1929 to make way for construction of the Empire State Building. It was rebuilt and opened in its current location on October 1st 1931. Based on the evolution of ink pens, this inkwell is believed to have come from the initial location - as the internal ink chamber of this ink well bears a patent date of 1914 and it is noted that Fountain pens with the convenience of an internal ink chamber were "all the rage" by the time the second location opened. This is a great piece of not only New York, but American history as well! Measurements: 6 1/2" diameter x 3" tall. The steel point, quill-style pen is 7 3/4" long.