J448 19th century Pennsylvania oval shaped double-sided wooden Trade sign with steamed and bent wooden framed edge advertising "Black Horse Hotel" above a black painted running horse with "T.D. Mohr 1868" painted below. A Masonic compass and square is painted in the center of the date. The lettering is hand done in black paint on a white painted background. The bentwood framing surrounding the sign is painted black. Double-sided, with one side showing a great deal more wear than the opposite side – indicating possible exposure to weather. Remnants of the original hand-forged iron hanger, secured with rosehead nails, remain on one side of the sign. Measurements: 34” wide x 1 7/8” thick x 24” tall.
NOTE: There was a “Black Horse Hotel” located in Kutztown, PA during this time period however, unfortunately; no evidence of “T.D. Mohr” could be found as its proprietor – although there were a number of Mohr family members living in that area during the 1860s.